1. We ferment all of our Kombucha in small, individual batches using 10 L glass jars.
2. Good water quality is essential in making Kombucha. The Chinese have a saying that "water is the mother of tea" & the tea makes Kombucha. So, we take the water quality very seriously.
That is why we use carbon filtration system that is also equipped with a special part that re-vitalizes the water, changing its structure to the one that is very similar to a living, spring water.
3. Besides the good quality water, we use carefully selected high quality loose teas. Those teas are the actual "flavor" of our Kombucha. Our teas range from White, through Green, Oolong, Black & Pu-erh. This selection also includes teas like Jasmin, Osmanthus or Morgenduft. Our Classic is a mixture of 4 different teas & our Hibiscus is based on our Classic mixed with Hibiscus flowers.
So our Kombucha is truly tea-based, as we do not add any fruits or juices to our Kombucha.
In our humble opinion, they are not needed to achieve great tasting Kombucha.
4. As we use the unrefined brown cane sugar to make our Kombucha, it gives our Kombucha extra layers of flavor which our customers describe sometimes as those of an apple cider or even honey. This particular sugar also makes our Kombucha a bit darker in color as it still contains some of the molasses. As we are against any processed foods, sugar is no exception.
5. Although the teas are really important for us, we also have a special line of Kombucha that is strictly made with other substances that people drink as tea. Here you will find Kombucha made out of Chaga, Hemp, Lapacho & other.
To find out more about this line, please check the other blog entries.
6. We also DO NOT FILTER or ALTER our Kombucha in any way. This way it stays just as the Mother Nature designed it (or how our SCOBIES made it , to be more precise).
And yes, we DO use real Scobies & NOT the concentrate.
7. We use glass not only for brewing, but also for bottling & also we store all necessary ingredients for our Kombucha in glass containers (so NO stainless steel or plastic containers during our production). We also against the use of aluminum cans, as they are lined up with plastic resins, with a lot of them containing the controversial BPA.
8. Our Kombucha is naturally carbonated (no CO2 added) & the level of carbonation will differ from bottle to bottle & also various Kombucha will have more natural carbonation, like our Jun & some other will have quite little, like our Chaga Kombucha.
The carbonation in our Kombucha is achieved through so called "second fermentation" when our Kombucha is already in bottles. During this process we do not add anything to our Kombucha to increase the level of carbonation.
9. Since we do not filter the yeasts from our Kombucha & we let it naturally carbonate in bottles, the alcohol level might be a bit higher than in other commercial Kombucha.
In Germany drinks that are still considered to be non-alcoholic, can contain up to 1.2% ABV.
Kombucha always con